Temperature Blanket Details!

High Temperatures Results and HOW TO for January 2018


We LOVE to say in Minnesota that our weather is only for the stout, hardy and cray-cray type of people. UFF DA! Right?! Can I get an Amen from the locals? 
Blink and our weather will change. 
Take a nap to cold and rainy, wake up to sunshine and balmy. 
Winter time brings about rain, slush and snow and sometimes a thunderstorm all in one day. 
You never know in Minne-SNOW-ta!

What I learned knitting January temps is we ranged from a HIGH temp of -12 (yes, that's BELOW 0) to a balmy snow melting HIGH temp of 46 degrees F. 

What started this knitting project for 2018?
So I saw a Facebook post last week about a crochet rainbow looking blanket that was made according to the maker's temperatures and I did some searching. I didn't come up with much as far as a pattern or formula to follow so I came up with my own. Then I thought, well why not share? Lots of friends on FB asked me to tell them what to do to make their own blanket. This is an easy beginner's project. 

FREE pattern link: HERE



I am stash busting my odds and ends yarns. This is my summary for January 2018. I picked light to heavy worsted weight yarns in grays, blues and greens. I am also using my local temps from this site: timeanddate.com


So gauge is a funny thing. This gives us SIZE in knitting.
With something like this does it really even matter?
Well it depends.
I want to make a blanket that will fit about a full sized bed. So I did the math and with my US sized #9 KA circular needles I am getting about 4.5" stitches to the inch and about 4 rows per inch. At the end of January's knit I have an 8.5" wide by 70" long piece of fabric. Times that by 12 months and I should be good for the blanket I want if I stick with my worsted weight yarns.

A nice option would be a scarf.

  1. Monthly just knit your 2 rows each day and then bind off when finished on the last day of the month. 
  2. Low commitment. 
  3. Nothing big to lug around. 
  4. Ta-daaaa! 
  5. A nice scarf. 

Make one for every month and by Christmas you would have some easy gifts to give to your peeps and you wouldn't even need to buy any extra yarn for them if you stash bust what you have lying around.


Remember, Garter stitch is 2 rows of knitting to equal the nice line of "bumps." 
So knitting every stitch on the RIGHT side of your project with one color to the last stitch, then knit on the WRONG SIDE of your project back to the beginning with that same color. 
Color switching happens at the beginning of the RIGHT side of your blanket. I am weaving in my ends as I go. I don't like weaving in ends. And I don't like "MESSY" so call me anal. I've made peace with it. 😋

I found this temperature/yarn color chart and this is the one I am using. You can find your own chart checking out Pinterest if you want less colors or a different temp range. I found charts for 8 colors, 10 colors and the 16 colored chart I am using. Make this work for YOU!


Another fun option would be to rotate stitch patterns each month. 
For example; stockinette stitch, seed stitch, a simple lace or texture pattern. 
Just try and keep it simple and only the 2 rows per day. 


For my blanket I am choosing to have a nice chain stitch edge as I go along. 
  1. So at the beginning of each row I slip the first stitch purl-wise. 
  2. At the end of each row, I knit the last stitch through the back loop. 


I want to pick my project up each morning with my cuppa warm stuff and get my brainless knitting on. 

2 rows. 
Once a day. 
Coffee or tea. 
YUP! 


I will keep you posted here on my progress, and please share with me YOUR Temperature Blanket details and pics!!! It will be groovy to see the different areas of the world and what color YOUR weather paints each month. 

Find the pattern HERE on Ravelry. 

Find me on Facebook HERE for Baltic Stitches. 

Happy Stitching~


Comments

Popular Posts