Time in a Bottle

This little babushka lady always makes me smile. 
It brings a memory back so swiftly my little girl giggles come popping out of me as if I were 4 years old again. My Vetsmum (grandma) without her teeth. The only thing missing here is her cotton ball soft head of white hair. 

 Latvian crafting magazines with their old painted covers adorned with costume ornaments bring me back into time as well. 
My time with Vetsmum always brought new adventures. Mushroom picking on damp fall days. Hot summer cabin capers filleting carp caught in the river with a stick pole and a piece of corn. Her sitting and knitting with metal needles and balls of brightly colored yarns. Her flower gardens and her wash hanging on the line to dry. Playing in the laundry basket and later filling it with apples from her apple tree. Squirrels ate from her hands the peanuts or seeds she had an endless supply of. Her soft questions in Latvian and her easy smile and laugh. She was my favorite grandma. 

Back in time. 
My dear Vetsmum's confirmation picture with Latvian figurines, trinkets and ribbons woven with Latvian designs. Socks I made modeled after a pair of childhood socks that she had made. 


And of course, Vetsmum's Mittens, or Olga's Mittens for Blue Sky Fibers
Those were her church mittens. 

All these things bring to mind capturing a Baltic memory that sings to my very core! 

Christmas is coming, it's time to get knitting. 

Comments

Popular Posts